THIS IS SPONSORED CONTENT FROM HOUSE AUTRY.
THE OPINIONS STATED ARE MY OWN.
Karissa and I were talking about Mother’s Day (psst, if you have a mother and you are reading this…Mother’s Day is May 14th, you’re welcome. And…if you are a mom print this out and tape it to the back of the family cereal boxes, everyone reads everything on the back of their cereal box, it’s a weird human nature quirk ) Anyway, we were talking about what women actually want for Mother’s day because some times it is comical what we actually get on that day. Gifts have become a tradition, but honestly…I think they are optional and depend on your mother. The breakfast in bed, again optional, but definitely adorable. Macaroni necklaces are a must <wink> We came down with a list of 3 things that every woman can agree they want on Mother’s Day:
- We want YOU to do the dishes – Leaving a sink full of dished from the breakfast you so creatively cooked for Mom is not cool. Trust me when I tell you we want you to do the dishes, that day not a week from today.
- We want some alone time – Not all day and its not that we don’t love everyone. Its simply that our job is based solely about meeting everyone’s needs and the only way we truly get a break is if there is no one around to have needs that need to be met.
- We want a good meal – Usually we aren’t picky, as long as you don’t forget about #1 and that it is real food. Its a myth that all a mom wants is pancakes and salad. We want a meal, with sides and dessert. Its our day off after all, everyone wants to eat well on vacation.
Feeling overwhelmed? Don’t worry we have your back, Mother’s Day will be a wild success. Let’s walk through it together…#1 is easy, turn on water, add soap and scrub. Done, check that off. #2, alone time, easy. Get mom a book or buy her a movie or give her permission to binge watch Once Upon a Time, lock her in her room with a blanket and a pillow for at least an hour. Easy enough, check. Now with those two out of the way, we can tackle #3…the hardest one…the meal. Now this may sound harder then it is but we actually have partnered with House Autry Mills and have created a super simple meal that will knock mom’s socks off.
Enter Crunchy Italian Chicken Marinara Sandwich. Mouthful of a name but so worth it.
While this sandwich isn’t an entirely new concept there are 3 easy tricks we added to elevate this sandwich and make it a new family favorite.
The first thing we did is bread our own chicken. It’s the biggest difference between an okay chicken sandwich and the sandwich you are craving every Friday night. We sliced our chicken breasts into thin patties to keep the ratio in the sandwich from being over powered with chicken. Then we used House Autry Mills Oven baked chicken breading to coat the chicken. I have to tell you I was really surprised at how easy it was to use. I prefer baking things rather then frying them but that can result in drier chicken and breading that is soggy instead of crispy. So honestly I didn’t bread much because it never turned out like I hoped. House Autry Mills’ Oven Baked Breading though is completely different it actually crisps up when it is in the oven. So you get the crunch with out all the oil.I just followed the instructions on their box for baking it and my chicken turned out perfectly moist, it was pretty close to fool proof.
One of the best parts about their breading is you don’t have to use an egg wash to bread the chicken. You just rinse the thawed chicken breast under water then roll it in the breading and put it on the pan, that is it. So much less mess and the breading sticks beautifully. This will with out a doubt be my go to breading mix from now on. And makes it so easy as a Mother’s day meal because you don’t have to know a lot about cooking to have it turn out amazing.
House Autry Mills are launching their product line in Wal-Mart so check there to get a box or 2. It makes a great quick meal because the chicken is done in 20 minutes and clean up is easy (which mother’s love)
This leads us to the next trick, seasonings. House Autry Mills offers breading with seasonings already added but I opted to get the plain breading so that I could season it to match the flavor profile of the dish. In this case I added dried basil, garlic salt and onion powdered. The options are endless though, so if mom likes a little heat then add some Cayenne pepper or chili powder. Adding this bit of seasoning to the mix that makes the chicken the star of the dish.
And finally the last tip, the toasting the bun. The trick isn’t simply toasting the bun because that is really common, the trick here is to take a clove of garlic slice it in half and then rubbed the sliced end across the toasted sides of the bun. It keeps the bun crispy but it gives you a hint of garlic.
From there it is simple. Toast the bun, rub it with the garlic. Layer on your favorite marinara sauce, add your masterfully crafted homemade chicken breast. Melt a piece of mozzarella
cheese on the top of the chicken by sliding it back into a hot oven for a few minutes. Then top with mom’s favorite veggies and serve. Then brush your shoulder and high five your kids, you just pulled off a beautifully designed Mother’s day. Good work, you should be proud.
- 1 Box of Autry House Mills Oven Baked Breading
- 2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 2 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 6 Sub Rolls or Hoagie buns
- 3 Chicken Breasts, sliced into 6 thin patties
- 6 - 12 Mozzarella Cheese Slices
- 1 Garlic Clove
- Place the Autry House Mills Bread Crumbs into a shallow dish or bag
- Add Dried Oregano, Garlic Salt and Onion Powder to breading mix and stir until combined
- Rinse your chicken breast under cold water and coat the chicken generously with the breading mixture and place on an un-greased sheet pan. Bake 20 minutes at 400 degrees. (Directions on the Autry House Mills box)
- Once the chicken is done, toast the buns lightly under the broil. While toasting slice the garlic clove in half. Remove the buns from the oven and rubbed the sliced end of the garlic across the toasted portion of the buns
- Build the sandwich by layering Marinara sauce, breaded chicken, mozzarella slice (put it back in the oven to melt the cheese) add avocado slices and tomato slices. Serve Hot