It is finally FALL…which means soups!! And one of the first soups I think of is Creamy Potato Bacon Soup. I’m so excited to be pulling out the soup recipes (even though here in AZ our temps are still in the 90’s…I won’t even go into that though!) Growing up in Idaho made me grow to LOVE potatoes. I didn’t always like potatoes but now I will eat a potato in any form. This soup is one of my favorites! It is super creamy and is as flavorful as a loaded baked potato.
What Is Potato Soup without Potatoes
I feel bad for potatoes. They get a bad rap from a lot of the “food community.” and really for no reason. Potatoes are super healthy and completely whole–no preservatives. Sure they may have some starch but in my opinion, they are healthy and great for you. Just some potato nutrients for you: 1 medium potato only has 163 calories, 897 mg of potassium, 37 g of carbs and 4.3 g of protein. Not to mention 70% of your needed vitamin C plus a whole lot of other goodness (and yumminess)!
Potatoes usually get the bad image because of everything you put on them but there are lots of ways to keep them healthy while adding flavor. Traditional potato soups call for heavy cream and butter together. We instead removed the butter and use half and half instead of heavy cream, and you can also easily use turkey bacon (a favorite in our house) or some other lean meat.
What Is The Verdict on Creamy Potato Bacon Soup?
This recipe is a crowd pleaser…even my 3 year old couldn’t put his spoon down. This is actually our most popular post to date on Red Apron Girl. We get rave reviews every week from readers who tried it out for dinner. We are so glad that one of our favorite recipes has turned into a family favorite for many people. If you have any questions while making it leave a comment and we will get back to you as soon as we can. Enjoy!… oh and for added fun It is great in a bread bowl.
Need More Dinner Ideas? Check Out these Favorites
- 1 lb bacon. chopped and cooked
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into small pieces (about ¼ inch pieces)
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- ½ cup half and half (can use heavy cream)
- green onions
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil potatoes in a large pot until fork tender
- While potatoes are boiling, saute onion for about 8 minutes. Add garlic and continue to saute for a couple more minutes
- Add flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly add in 1 cup chicken broth while scraping side of pan.
- Add in remaining chicken broth and simmer.
- Add cheese into soup until melted.
- Once potatoes are done,drain and rough mash with potato masher.
- Add potatoes to cheese and soup mixture.
- Add half and half and salt and pepper to taste
- Let cook for about 5 minutes.
- Serve and top with bacon, green onions, and grated cheese